Are you ready to turn your hand to tree pruning? Gold Coast residents love their gardens, but sometimes the growth can get out of hand and needs to be cut back. Tree pruning means that you’re pruning or lopping the branches of your trees, and whilst it’s necessary, you shouldn’t prune indiscriminately as you can damage the trees. Let’s look at eight reasons why you might need to prune your trees and four of the mistakes you need to avoid.
Reasons why tree pruning is important on the Gold Coast
- Tree health: Regular pruning helps to maintain the health of your trees and encourages new growth.
- Dead branches: When branches are dead or clearly dying, they need to be removed before they fall and cause injuries to people in the vicinity.
- Too big: Unfortunately, some trees are planted in the wrong place or we build too close to the trees. As they continue to grow, they can become too big for the space and need to be pruned or lopped to contain their growth.
- Storm damage: When trees are too damaged by storms, their branches need to be removed to reduce the weight on the trunk, encourage new growth and prevent branches from dropping and causing injuries.
- Dangerous trees: Incorrect tree pruning on the Gold Coast has occasionally led to reduced structural integrity. Affected trees are in danger of falling over or large branches can crack and drop suddenly. These branches need to be removed for safety reasons.
- Poor health: If a tree is infected with a disease or pests it can also reduce the integrity of the tree, so the affected branches need to be removed and the tree treated. Sometimes the entire tree needs to be removed, rather than just pruned, but lopping is usually the first option.
- Power lines: If branches are overhanging the power or telecom lines then they need to be pruned to prevent a dangerous situation occurring. You can also look into lopping large branches that intrude from your neighbour’s property or hang over your roof, garage or shed. If these large branches drop suddenly, they can cause a lot of damage and possibly injuries.
- Reduced light: One of the biggest reasons for tree pruning on the Gold Coast is the lack of light caused by overhanging branches. This is a legitimate concern for homeowners; however a more recent problem is the reduction in sunlight falling on solar panels.
If you have the expertise, you can most probably handle pruning trees on your property that are no higher than a single storey. Anything taller than this really does require expert tree pruning skills, so call Kiwi Tree Lopping and ask us for a free quote. Our rates are very affordable and we are super-fast and efficient!
If you do want to try your hand at tree pruning on the Gold Coast however, here are four common mistakes that you need to avoid.
- Don’t reduce the tree’s ability to heal by pruning branches in the wrong place.
- Don’t leave the trees susceptible to disease and pests by removing the bark.
- Don’t cause the trees to go into shock by removing very large branches.
- Don’t reduce the tree’s health by pruning too many branches at one time.
For optimum tree pruning on the Gold Coast, call Kiwi Tree Lopping on 0422 218 153 and we’ll make sure your trees are always healthy and strong.